Why have always been I more susceptible to catching HIV or an intimately Transmitted Infection (STI)?
It’s important to just just take protective measures in order to avoid HIV that is catching or STIs during intercourse once the danger is greater for males that have intercourse with guys compared to others. It is because the liner associated with the rectum is more delicate than the liner of the vagina which is consequently more at an increased risk to become damaged.
Insertive rectal intercourse (topping) is usually an inferior danger for HIV than receptive rectal intercourse (bottoming), but both topping and bottoming during unprotected (condomless) anal intercourse is recognized as risky.
Guys that have intercourse with men comprised 45% of brand new HIV diagnoses in 2017 in the united kingdom. Within Solent Sexual Health males who possess intercourse with men constructed 48% of all of the brand brand new HIV diagnoses in 2018.
There are also increases when you look at the true wide range of Syphilis and Gonorrhoea diagnoses in Hampshire. These two may be handed down by condomless intercourse also rectal intercourse.
With PrEP (Pre-exposure prophylaxis) being more readily available, some individuals could be placing by themselves at greater threat of getting an STI as PrEP only protects against HIV transmission.
Lowering your threat of getting an STI or HIV
The easiest way to safeguard your self if you are planning to have dental or rectal intercourse is make use of condom each and every time. While they aren’t 100% guaranteed in full, whenever utilized precisely condoms are really effective. Top strategies for making use of condoms.
Condoms appear in different sizes and varieties, therefore when you haven’t quite found the right fit or feel, take to utilizing alternative sizes, brands and kinds to see just what works for you personally. If you should be responsive to latex, decide to try making use of latex condoms that are free. Condoms can be found free via our Condoms by Post solution.
You are able to lessen your danger by:
- Making use of lubrication. We suggest water based indian dating lube, nonetheless this will probably be dry or gluey helping to make condom splitting much more likely. Keep refreshing it with additional lube or a few falls of water during intercourse. Spit can spread some STIs, therefore avoid saliva that is using.
- Reducing the wide range of intimate partners you have got
- Getting tested for STIs before making love with some body brand new and advising that additionally they get tested. If you’re having regular alterations in intimate lovers then 3 month-to-month STI assessment is preferred.
- Reducing other activities that will impact your choices, such has consuming too much liquor or using medications.
- Getting immunised (vaccinated) against Hepatitis B, Hepatitis a plus some forms of HPV.
If you utilize medications within the intercourse you might be having (Chemsex), it is crucial that you be informed of this dangers included and exactly how to try out because properly as you possibly can. Some kinds of Chems pose an increased danger for your requirements simply because they may cause long run health issues such as for example despair, losing weight and dependence that is psychological. To learn more about playing properly, just click here.
That you have been exposed to HIV click here if you are worried.
Professional services we could provide for your requirements
- Hepatitis a for males
- Hepatitis B for males
- Peoples Papillomavirus (HPV) for guys aged between 15 and 45
MSM clinic (Hospital Xtra):
Clinic Xtra provides tailored solutions for males who’ve intercourse with guys including:
- post visibility prophylaxis for HIV (PEPSE)
- Support and advice for pre exposure prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP)
- Referrals for support around ChemSex and substance risk and misuse decrease
- STI evaluation and treatment
Hospital Xtra health that is sexual can be obtained at:
- St Marys Hospital, Portsmouth: 5:00 – 7:00pm thursday
- Royal Southern Hants Hospital, Southampton: 5:00 – 7:00pm thursday
- Crown Heights, Basingstoke: 5:00 – 7:00pm monday
- Andover Health Centre: 10:30am – 12:00pm friday
Do you want make it possible to lower your danger?
If you wish to discover more regarding help available or further advice, you are able to organize to see certainly one of our health and wellness advertising professionals. Please contact 0300 300 2016 and have to talk with the Sexual Health advertising Team or e-mail email@example.com.
Are you currently subjected to HIV?
If you should be worried it’s likely you have been confronted with HIV (had unsafe sex with somebody whoever HIV status you don’t understand, or understand to stay positive and never on completely suppressed (undetectable) on therapy, or shared injecting gear), perhaps you are qualified to receive Post-exposure Prophylaxis.
Effective HIV treatment (ART) lets people lead healthier active life and additionally protects their lovers. Whenever viral load is invisible on ART, HIV is not any longer sexually transmitted – with or without condoms. The ev
Post-exposure Prophylaxis ( PEPSE or PEP) is medicine it is possible to just simply take in reducing the possibility of HIV transmission. It’s four weeks course this is certainly very long of that is taken after unsafe sex where there is an increased threat of publicity. PEP or PEPSE should be studied just as feasible after sex, and surely within 72 hours. The earlier it really is started the much more likely it really is to operate. You need to have an assessment by having a physician or nursing assistant just before are recommended this medicine. It is necessary which you finish this course after you have started it.
If you should be concerned which you have already been subjected to HIV you need to go to certainly one of our clinics, or an Accident and Emergency division right away.